Backup your computer (Windows version)

 I have run across situations where System Restore does not fix an affected PC. In that case, your best friend is your system backup set. I no longer have any need for document versioning, so I keep only the two most recent sets here to limit the amount of disk storage consumed. With that said, if you use your PC for work or school, document versioning may be very important for you. If so, consider how far back in time you need to be able to go, then adjust your backup paradigm accordingly.

On my system, one backup set consists of a (weekly) full system backup and up to six (daily) incremental backups. You may prefer a similar set based on a monthly full system backup with up to thirty incremental backups. I stated above that I keep two such sets, but that is not entirely true. I keep two full system (weekly) backups, but only the most recent up to six (daily) incremental backups. This way, I can 'restore' my system to any day within the past week, or I can restore it to the previous week's full system backup.

I also keep an initial full system backup in the cloud (and on a local external drive that is connected only on the day the full system backup is generated) along with up to two weekly full system backups (again to limit storage requirements).

The one thing that makes all this work is the fact that I created a boot-able recovery USB stick, then tested it after I generated my first full system backup. In other words, I created the initial full system backup. Next I created the boot-able recovery USB stick. Finally, I ran the recovery USB stick, and performed the recovery operation, so I know all the parts work as expected.

I did all this after I built this (my new-to-me) PC from components I purchased. At that point in time, I still had (and still have) my previous production machine (which I have taken out of service for now), so I could use that to recover in the event my new backup system did not work as expected. Since the system recovery worked as expected, I am confident that it will work when/if it is needed.

Since OneDrive began offering to 'backup' (sync) the files on my Windows installation, I have taken advantage of that feature, so in the event I cannot restore my system from a backup, I can wipe my system drive (or replace it) and perform a clean install of whichever is the current Windows release, and all my files stored on OneDrive will 'magically' appear on my re-built system.

I have my new production desktop PC, a new 'gaming' laptop (that also runs Window 11), and an older laptop that will never run Windows 11 because the CPU is too old (and I suspect the CPU is soldered to the main-board), even though it does have a TPM 2.0 module and Secure Boot. The only machine I have configured to sync with OneDrive is my production desktop. The other two PCs have access to OneDrive, but they are NOT configured to sync with it, so I only need the storage OneDrive offers for free with my Microsoft Account.

We are all different, and we all have differing needs. I have designed my backup paradigm to meet my needs. If you have read this far, and you have not designed a backup paradigm for yourself, I suggest you do so ASAP! These are my paradigm design suggestions for everyone:


For your personally owned computer – your personal user account:

1. At the very least, if you are using Windows, sync your files to OneDrive. If you use a Linux Distribution, I suggest you use the preferred backup utility for your distribution (I use TimeShift on Linux here). If something bad happens, your files will be waiting for you in the backup system for your OS.

2. Consider creating a backup paradigm that will meet your needs (Windows users).

2-a. Do you want a weekly (consisting of a full system image, and up to six incremental backups) or a monthly (consisting of a full system backup, and up to thirty incremental backups) backup set? A monthly backup set takes up considerably more space on the disk than a weekly backup set, but offers far more flexibility to recover earlier versions of files, so if individual file recovery is important to you, the monthly backup set may be best.

Once you decide which type of backup set you want to use (weekly or monthly), set it up, and after you generate a full set, you can see how much space it takes up on your drive. Double that amount, because future backup sets will grow larger with time.

2-b. How far back in time do you want to be able to recover a previous version of a file? Is a month long enough, or would three, four or more be better for you?

If you are a student, the length of a semester may best meet your needs, and you should be able to archive your files for the classes you took at the end of each semester (consider this when you organize your file system for school). A similar consideration should work if you have children who use your computer for homework. If so, make sure each child has his/her own account with parental controls configured (a topic for another discussion).

If you are not a student, and no student(s) use your personal computer for homework, consider how far back in time you may want to be able to go to recover a corrupted or mistakenly deleted file, or even to recover a previous version of a file you edited, but now want to recover a pre-edit version. For most people, a month will probably be long enough. For some (like me) a week is long enough, but you must decide how long is long enough for you.

2-c. Once you know how far back in time you need to be able to go to recover files, and you know how much space your initial backup set requires, you can figure out how much disk space you will need to store your backup set(s).

To get the number of backup sets you need, divide the length of time you want to be able to go back by the length in time of a backup set. As an example, for a monthly backup set where you want to go back three months (a semester), you will need to be able to keep three backup sets.

Then, to get the amount of space you need to store these backup sets, double the size of a backup set, and multiply by the number of sets to be stored.

2-d. Most people do not have a second drive on their PC, especially if it is a laptop. If this is you, or if you do have a second drive, but it is not large enough to store your backup set, I suggest you get an external USB-connectable drive that is large enough to store your backup set(s). You can get either a drive that is factory-designed to connect to a USB port, or you can get a 3.5 inch drive and a USB drive enclosure to serve the same purpose. If cost is important to you, check out both scenarios. Either way, you do not have to open your computer case to add the backup drive.


For an employer provided computer:

NEVER use an employer provided computer for personal use – period!

If you have a computer provided by your employer, do not create a backup paradigm. That is your employer’s job.

If your employer does not have a backup paradigm, this may be a very good time for your employer to develop one, since you are apparently working (at least some of the time) from home.


For your personally owned computer – used for both personal and work purposes:

Because we are talking about a personally owned PC that is also being used for work, I make the assumption that your employer has not offered you a work PC. I strongly suggest you see if your employer will provide a work PC for you to use from home (or if you have a work laptop, see if you can take it home to work from there). Failing either of the above, I strongly suggest you think very carefully about using your personal PC for work under any circumstances.

Very important! Failing any of the above, because this is your personally owned PC, you probably already have a user account for personal use. At the very least, create a separate work-related user account to keep both worlds separate. Even better, get a copy of Windows Enterprise from your employer and install it in a dual-boot configuration on your personal PC, then use the Windows Enterprise installation for work, and the original Windows installation for personal use.

Carefully follow the guidelines presented above for a computer provided by your employer as pertains to your work-related user account, or Windows Enterprise installation (treat the Windows Enterprise installation as if it were a computer provided by your employer).

You should have your employer’s IT department configure your work-related user account (or a Windows Enterprise installation) for security and backup paradigm. If your employer does not have an IT department, find out who is responsible for all things computer, and have that person set up your work-related user account or Windows Enterprise installation for you.

If no such person exists, have your employer provide a computer for you to use from home, and do not add a work-related account on your personal PC.

If your employer is unwilling/unable to provide a work-from-home PC, provide a copy of Windows Enterprise for a dual-boot on your personal PC, or even provide guidance for security/backup paradigm for a work-related user account on your personal PC, think very carefully about using your personal PC to work from home. At the very least, get a signed document absolving you of any liability regarding you use of your personal PC to work from home. In other words, Cover Your A** (CYA) or don’t do it!

Finally, if you do end up using your personal PC to work from home, failing all the above, configure your work-related user account with a strong security configuration, use a VPN to connect to work, and use an encrypted monthly backup paradigm (a full system backup with up to 30 incremental backups), keeping at least six backup sets (so you can go back at least six months if needed). This will take up a LOT of storage space, so you may need to get a very large external drive. See “For your personally owned computer – your personal user account” section 2c above for details about how to calculate the size of the drive.

I hope this is helpful for anyone who reads it,


Ernie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Common Debian App Commands With Descriptions

Windows–Linux dual-booters: how to set Windows system time to UTC

Here is what I do to remain safe on (and off) the Internet