My Experience Placing My First Order on NewEgg

 My Experience with my first order from NewEgg.com:

On June 16, 2021 I set up an account on NewEgg-dot-com. My initial order was broken into three parts even though I ordered all the components in one transaction. (Order numbers 379732463, 379732483, and 379732443).

Order number one of three consisted of one item (order number 379732463):

1- 4pcs 120mm RGB Fans and USB3.0 Mesh Mid-ATX Tower Chassis Gaming PC Case, Opening Tempered Glass Panels Gaming Style . . .

Item #: 9SIAP4NEAG5621 Subtotal $ 63.89

Tax $ 4.64

Total $ 68.53

Order number two of three consisted of one item (order number 379732483):

1- AMD RYZEN 5 3400G 4-core 3.7 GHz (4.2 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 65w YD3400C5FHBOX Desktop Processor

Item #: 9SIASGMDH81309 Subtotal $ 272.98

Tax $ 19.79

Total $ 292.77

Order number three of three consisted of five items (order number 379732443):

1-Seagete BarraCuda ST2000DM008 2TB 7200RPM 256MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5” Hard Drive Bare Drive

Item #: N82E16822184773 $ 55.49


1-MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX AM4 AMD X470 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard

Item #: N82E16813144266 $ 119.99


1-EVGA 550 B5, 80 Plus Bronze 550w, Fully Modular, EVGA ECO Mode, 5 Year Warranty, Compact 150mm Size, Power Supply

Item #: N82E16817438167 $ 82.99


1-Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2280 1TB PCIe Gen 3.0 x4, NVMe 1.3v-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Deice (SSD)

Item #: N82E16820147743 $ 159.99


1-G.Skill RipJaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 2888-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GVKB

Item #: $ 88.89


Subtotal $ 507.35

Tax $ 36.78

Total $ 544.13


For all three orders: Grand Subtotal $ 844.22

Total Tax $ 61.21

Grand Total $ 905.43


The first two orders were approved on my Debit Card, but the third order was denied even though there was enough in my account to pay for all the items I wanted to order. I checked with my bank, and they had placed a security block on my account. I have no explanation for this. The representative at my bank gave me the number to call to get the block lifted, which I did immediately. I then attempted to complete my third transaction on NewEgg. I received a response that the transaction was denied. I waited an hour, then deleted my card form my NewEgg account and re-entered my card information again. I attempted to complete the transaction, but it was again denied.

At this point I opened a chat with the NewEgg customer support. The only thing they told me was that my transaction was denied by my bank. I called my local bank branch again to check that the bock was removed. It was. The bank’s CSR could see no reason why this was happening. I went back on the NewEgg web site to try to get help. The only reply I got was “the transaction was denied by the bank”. I asked which bank and they said it was my bank that denied the transaction.

On June 17, 2021 I met with the same problem, and was not able to complete my transaction with NewEgg. Their customer service department was absolutely no help. Even after I informed them that I have had the transaction block lifted from my account, they did not even entertain the possibility that the trouble could be coming from their system, so I gave up and went to Amazon and successfully ordered all the components I was not able to order on NewEgg. Everything arrived in excellent condition June 23, 2021.

Meanwhile, my CPU made to to Chicago O’Hare Airport (ORD) on Sunday, June 20, 2021, but it sat there for several days (I suspect that it was being processed by U.S. Customs). On June 23rd, 2021 I had NewEgg contact the seller about this delay. The same day I received an email from the seller telling me that (paraphrased) You, my CPU has been sitting idle at O'Hare Airport for the past three days. It finally arrived June 28, 2021.

My Mid Tower Case was damaged in transit. I learned this on the UPS tracking site. I waited a few days to see what would happen. Nothing. I contacted NewEgg customer support (again) on July 2, 2021 and they sent a complaint to the seller. I’ll have to wait to see what happens now.

August 18, 2021 Update: On July 15, 2021 I received an email from NewEgg that my claim has been approved. My replacement Mid Tower case was delivered July 22, 2021, nearly undamaged. The chassis is in excellent shape but there is n o cable to connect the fan system to a power supply or to my main-board. I was promised a $20.00 credit (which I have not yet received as of August 18, 2021), and I suspect I’ll never see it since it was promised by the seller (and not NewEgg), and so far, all correspondence has occurred through facilities provided on the NewEgg website.

I ended up purchasing all the items I was unable to get from NewEgg on Amazon. All of these items arrived on time or ahead of the scheduled delivery date in excellent condition. On July 29, 2021, I purchased another fan system from Amazon to get the power cable I did not receive with my replacement Mid Tower case (at a cost of about $33.00 for four fans and a control unit). My order arrived on Saturday, July 31, 2021 (about three or four days early).

My experience with NewEgg has been a nightmare, and I will NEVER shop NewEgg again! Based on my experience, I strongly suggest that everyone avoid NewEgg like the plague, although YMMV still applies. The sad part is that I tried NewEgg in an attempt to find an alternative to Amazon, because Amazon is getting so big. After this experience, I now recognize the reasons that Amazon has become so big. They offer competitive pricing on their products, they tell the customer when to expect delivery om ordered items, and update that information as conditions change, usually to inform customers that their order will arrive sooner than expected. When something does go wrong (lost or damaged orders, etc.), they make it right quickly, either with a full refund, or a replacement product. In short, Amazon does what it says it will do, and it makes it right when something goes wrong (even through this pandemic), and they take responsibility for any failure on their part.

I expected similar treatment from NewEgg, but they fell far short of my expectations. They failed to keep me informed about my order status. They were slow to resolve the problems I encountered, and worst of all, they failed to take responsibility for their failures. Instead, they attempted to shift blame to the sellers. They seem to have refused to recognize that the shortcomings of their sellers reflected poorly on them. Frankly, I do not understand how they have remained in business for so many years. They were founded in 2001, and in 2010 they launched NewEgg Market Place, and exceeded 2.5 Billion dollars in revenue that year per Newegg - Wikipedia.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Common Debian App Commands With Descriptions

Windows–Linux dual-booters: how to set Windows system time to UTC

Here is what I do to remain safe on (and off) the Internet